During last month’s MagentoLive Australia 2018, Magento announced its integration with Amazon Marketplace, to allow merchants to more simply and cost-effectively manage inventory directly from within the Magento Commerce admin.
Amazon is the world’s most popular marketplace and continues to command a greater share of online sales. The addition of the new sales channel capability is a response to this trend, allowing Magento merchants to capitialise on Amazon’s popularity by growing sales on the third-party marketplace.
The embrace of all things Amazon doesn’t come as a surprise; in an interview with Bloomberg TV Canada last August (2017), Magento CEO, Mark Lavelle, was quizzed about how Magento expects to compete with Amazon, to which he highlighted the company’s partnership with Amazon (Magento Cloud runs in co-operation with Amazon Web Services) and that many Magento merchants already list on sites such as Amazon and eBay.
The opportunity that Amazon presents hasn’t gone unnoticed by the Magento community; in a recent survey 92% of Magento merchants said they expect to grow their Amazon sales over the next 12 months.
“This enhanced capability from Magento helps merchants simplify the listing process, and measure the value gained from this important channel.”
“With a majority of consumers starting product searches directly on marketplaces like Amazon, this is a tremendous opportunity for merchants to help consumers discover their brand and buy their products,” said Mark Lavelle, CEO of Magento Commerce. “This enhanced capability from Magento helps merchants simplify the listing process, and measure the value gained from this important channel.”
There are several new features planned and the new sales channel capability will benefit from several product distribution tools as well as new pricey strategy facilities.
The new Magento Amazon marketplace facility will include the following functionality:
- Leverage Amazon’s extensive catalog data for storefront enhancements such as advanced search, filtered navigation, and promotional rules
- Automatically match products and list them across Amazon’s North American, APAC, and European marketplaces
- Utilise advanced marketing tools to manage listings across marketplaces and increase sales by enhancing a listing’s urgency
- Take advantage of centralised order management to synchronise order status, tracking information, customer data, and cancellations
- Access detailed reporting on competitor pricing and use tools designed to increase product visibility and sales
- Deploy custom repricing tools to keep pricing competitive
- Utilise marketing tools such as the Amazon Strikethrough Price to enhance listings and increase sales
The new functionality will likely be made available on the Magento 2 platform later this year.
Press release available on Magento News Room.