OSPREY LONDON started life in 1980 making handcrafted leather belts; it is now one of the UK’s leading independently owned luxury leather and retail companies. In 2019 OSPREY LONDON & The Pixel undertook a redesign of the existing OSPREY LONDON ecommerce store, that included a range of new functionality and services to improve the customer journey and UX for both desktop and mobile users.
PERCENTAGE INCREASE IN USERS
PERCENTAGE OF REPEAT BUYERS PER MONTH
PERCENTAGE INCREASE IN REVENUE (12 MONTHS)
OSPREY LONDON wanted UX analysis that would help expand functionality and performance across the site as a whole. Discovery sessions and collaborative workshops were held, focusing on the current digital & brand experience, followed by research & user testing to provide first-hand customer feedback that was key to improving conversion results. The resulting series of UX improvements were made:
• Review & Comparison Tool - The basket page was converted to include large thumbnail images and core specs for product comparison to aid customer buying decisions.
• Persistent Basket - Non purchased items were retained per customer and saved to prompt should users wish to complete their purchase.
• Custom Filtering System - A custom filtering system was added to category pages, including a mobile-specific category page with mobile-friendly filtering.
• Supplementary Products - Supplementary products that complemented existing items replaced alternative products to avoid distracting the user.
• Delivery - All delivery options were highlighted to present costs upfront in the basket for maximum transparency and to reduce abandonment.
• Guest Checkout - Customers are now able to check out as guests with the opportunity to create an account should they wish to.
• Hint Text - Hint text increased the ease of use of the checkout, explaining why certain information was required and how it will be used.
• Address Finder - Users can now enter a street address or postcode (UK) for fast address entering using the Loqate Postcode Lookup feature.
• AA Accessibility Standards - Accessibility standards ensured title sizes and background colours were correct to help users check out without impediment.
The upgrade to Magento 2.3.5 enabled many features and improvements to help future proof the OSPREY LONDON website.
Magento Commerce 2.3.5 allows merchants to install security fixes without applying the hundreds of functional fixes and enhancements that a full quarterly release includes.
Adobe’s AI tool that uses artificial intelligence and machine-learning algorithms to perform a deep analysis of shopper data to create highly engaging, relevant, and personalised experiences.
Existing Page Builder pages can now be saved as templates and then used to create new CMS Pages elsewhere on site.
PayPal Checkout and Amazon Pay were both integrated as payment options. Both checkout systems let customers log into their PayPal or Amazon account to pay for items hassle-free, eliminating the need for inputting billing and shipping information.
The Amasty Shipping extension allowed the generation of multiple custom shipping methods, including Next Working Day Delivery with specific time slots that are geographically relevant to the individual customer’s location.
The Klevu on-site search platform uses Natural Language Processing and self-learning technology to enable a personalised experience and contextually relevant search catalog to enrich the depth and relevance of search results. OSPREY LONDON used a sticky header feature with Klevu to keep search results consistently visible while browsing.
Nosto onsite product recommendations and personalisation enables the analysis of the unique browsing and buying behavior of every visitor to the site, which then builds individual customer profiles and displays the most relevant products across the website.
Loqate postal certification delivers a postcode lookup API providing accurate real-time address data in the checkout, facilitating a more streamlined process and more accurate shipping rates calculation.
Hotjar provides heatmaps, session recordings and pop-up surveys that allows OSPREY LONDON to continue to monitor what parts of the site are being used by visitors and how, to continually improve the experience.
Since implementing the UX optimisation, focusing extensively on the purchasing journey and checkout experience, the OSPREY LONDON website has experienced a revenue increase of +23.83% (Mar 18 - Mar 19 vs Mar 19 - Mar 20) over a 1 year period. The resulting success has seen an increase in users of +26.77% and significant expansion of the current customer base.